County MetroLink unit responds to shooting; man jumps in front of train


Police are reporting back-to-back incidents on MetroLink trains in the last two days, including a shooting on a train platform and an attempted suicide with a passenger throwing himself in front of a train.

In both cases, the St. Louis County Police Department said officers from its MetroLink Unit were the first to respond to the scene. The unit has been under fire for the last few months under accusations from Metro that officers were slacking off on the job and covering surveillance cameras.

Police say a man shot a man he knew after they got into a fight on the platform at the Brentwood Station, 8398 Eager Road, at roughly 9:25 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12. Officers from the MetroLink Unit responded to a call for a shooting and found a man, 26, on the platform who had been shot in the lower body, police said. He was taken to a local hospital, but the wound was not life-threatening.

Police believe the man was approached by another man on the eastbound platform as the first man waited for a train. The men knew each other and argued over personal issues. The suspect displayed a handgun and shot the victim one time, then immediately fled the scene.

County police and officers from the Brentwood Police Department responded to the scene to render aid, police said.

The shooting is being investigated by the county department’s Bureau of Crimes Against Persons.

In the other incident Monday, a man is recovering after police say he jumped in front of an oncoming train at the St. Charles Rock Road Station, 7001 St. Charles Rock Road.

St. Louis County MetroLink Unit officers on the eastbound platform saw two men in a fight on the opposite platform at about 1:34 p.m. Monday, according to the police account of the incident.

The two men were handcuffed and detained for further investigation, but officers called an ambulance to send one of the men, 31, to the hospital for psychological evaluation.

As an officer took the 31-year-old to the ambulance along the platform, the man broke free of the officer and jumped in front of an oncoming westbound MetroLink train. He was hit by the train, and officers jumped onto the tracks to give him first aid.

The man was injured and sent to a local hospital for treatment, but is expected to survive, police said. He remains there for “physical and psychological evaluation.”