Pictured above: The replica of the Arch outside the Lemay Ferry Shop ‘n Save as seen Friday, Oct. 12. Photo by Bill Milligan.
Some former Shop ’n Saves in the south county area are already reopening as newly-branded Schnucks after Schnucks bought Shop ’n Save this month.
Maryland Heights-based grocery chain Schnucks announced last month it was buying 19 stores from Kirkwood-based Shop ’n Save’s parent company Supervalu. The remaining 17 Shop ’n Saves, including the Crestwood store, could close if a buyer isn’t found by November.
Schnucks announced Friday that the Lemay Shop ’n Save, 1032 Lemay Ferry Road, will reopen as a Schnucks Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 9 a.m.
The Green Park Shop ’n Save, located at 5780 S. Lindbergh Blvd., will reopen as a Schnucks Friday, Oct. 19 at 9 a.m. The Shop ’n Save will close Tuesday, Oct. 16.
The Green Park location is less than a mile from an existing Schnucks in Southfield Center shopping plaza in Concord Village, 5434 Southfield Center.
The company told the Call that both stores will remain open as Schnucks.
“We will be working hard to position each of the purchased stores for growth and success and do not currently have plans to close any of them,” spokesman Paul Simon said.
The grocer will also keep the iconic replica of the Arch in front of the Lemay Shop ‘n Save. But the branding on the arch will be changed to Schnucks rather than Shop ‘n Save.
Schnucks officially announced the opening dates this week for all 19 stores.
The first rebranded stores opened Wednesday in Shrewsbury and two other locations.
Another wave followed Friday, Oct. 12, with new stores opening in Fenton and two other locations. A third series of openings will happen Sunday, Oct. 13, when the new store opens in Arnold and other cities.
Shop ’n Save locations not bought by Schnucks remain open for now but are likely to close in November if a buyer isn’t found.
That list includes the Crestwood Shop ’n Save at 301 Watson Road, which could add to the wave of closures that have hit Crestwood’s Watson Road corridor. That Shop ’n Save is also very close to a current Schnucks location.
The list also includes the Kirkwood store at 10461 Manchester Road.
Each store will be closed for about two-and-a-half days, or 63 hours, before reopening as Schnucks, Schnucks said in its announcement. During the transition, Schnucks will switch out point-of-sale systems, rebrand signage and restock merchandise. More significant remodeling is scheduled to take place in the near future.
“We know that customers want to quickly return to their neighborhood store to shop for their families, so our teams will be working around the clock to transition these stores in a period of just 63 hours each, and we’ll focus on more extensive upgrades in the coming months,” said Schnucks President and Chief Operating Officer Dave Peacock. “While the transition will take place quickly, we want customers to know that on day one they can expect to see fully stocked shelves, and friendly, familiar faces, since many Shop ‘n Save employees at the acquired stores have accepted offers to join the Schnucks team.”
Store opening dates and times (Regular store hours in parentheses)
Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 9 a.m.:
● 7057 Chippewa, Shrewsbury. 63119 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 7909 Highway N, Dardenne Prairie. 63368 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 9070 St. Charles Rock Road, St. John. 63114 (24 hours)
Friday, Oct. 12 at 9 a.m.:
● 45 Gravois Bluffs Plaza Drive, Fenton. 63026 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 100 Jungermann Road, St. Peters. 63376 (5 a.m. – 1 a.m.)
● 2183 Charbonier Road, Florissant. 63031 (6 a.m. – midnight)
Sunday, Oct. 14 at 9 a.m.:
● 1253 Water Tower Plaza, Arnold. 63010 (6 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
● 60 Harvester Square, St. Charles. 63303 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 10634 St. Charles Rock Road, St. Ann. 63074 (24 hours)
Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 9 a.m.:
● 1032 Lemay Ferry Road, Lemay. 63125 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 1421 Mexico Loop Road East, O’Fallon. 63366 (6 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
● 1900 East Edwardsville Road, Wood River, Illinois. 62095 (5 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
Friday, Oct. 19 at 9 a.m.:
● 5780 S. Lindbergh Blvd., Green Park. 63123 (6 a.m. – 10 p.m.)
● 3740 Monticello Plaza, O’Fallon. 63368 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● 634 Berkshire Blvd., East Alton, Illinois. 62024 (7 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
● 800 Carlyle Ave., Belleville, Illinois. 62221 (6 a.m. – midnight)
● Standalone Pharmacy – 500 West Highway 50, Union. 63084 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday-Friday; 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Sunday, Oct. 21 at 9 a.m.:
● 1275 North Truman Blvd. Festus. 63028 (6 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
● 1721 Homer M. Adams Parkway, Alton, Illinois. 62002 (6 a.m. – 10 p.m.)
● 2122 Troy Road, Edwardsville, Illinois. 62025 (6 a.m – 10 p.m.)
Although the stores will be closed during the brief transition period, existing pharmacy customers will still be able to drop-off and pick-up prescriptions between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.
Pharmacy customers should check in with store security, which will escort customers to the pharmacy. At the Fenton, St. John and St. Charles stores, customers also have the option of going through the drive-thru pharmacy lanes.
Schnucks is continuing to evaluate operational requirements for all acquired gas stations, and as a result, has not yet set opening dates for the gas stations at the Wood River, St. Ann and St. John stores.