Mustangs hand Flyers first loss of season


The Lindbergh Flyers football team wasn’t in uncharted territory, but this time the Marquette Mustangs didn’t let the Flyers navigate to a win.

Lindbergh (4-1) fell 35-21 at Marquette (4-1) to suffer their first loss of the season.

The Flyers also lost their first regular season game since week nine of the 2008 season and fell to Marquette for the first time since 2004.

“They understand. It’s a football game. They weren’t happy. They don’t want to lose, just like us coaches don’t want to, but they understand,” Lindbergh head coach Tom Beauchamp said of his team’s players.

Lindbergh found itself behind on the scoreboard for the third time in as many games, but a 21-13 deficit was too much for a third straight comeback win.

Marquette scored first after halftime, as well, to go ahead 28-13 on a 17-yard touchdown pass. The Flyers led 7-0 after junior quarterback Peter Simpson hooked up with senior Adam Schremp on a 76-yard touchdown pass three minutes and 55 seconds into the game.

Marquette scored to tie, but Lindbergh senior Tim Hamm-Bey regained the lead for the Flyers in the first quarter when he shed Marquette’s defense for a 75-yard touchdown run.

The Mustangs responded with two rushing touchdowns in the second quarter to take a halftime lead. The Mustangs rushed for 400 yards on 56 carries, and produced 529 yards of total offense.

“We didn’t do much to stop them,” Beauchamp said. “They were very physical up-front and we didn’t match them. We took a look at the film, and saw some things we need to fix upfront, but it’s stuff that’s fixable.”

The Flyers defense allowed the most points to an opponent this season and the offense equaled its lowest scoring output of the season.

“They’re a good team. I can’t take anything away from them. They’re a better team than the first film we saw of them,” Beauchamp said.

Hamm-Bey brought Lindbergh to within seven points with 2:52 left in the third quarter on a nine-yard touchdown run and a two-point conversion run, but the Flyers failed to score again.

“We threatened several times,” Beauchamp said. “We dropped some passes that were catchable, and they broke up some passes, too. They were physical in the back, too.”

Marquette scored its fifth touchdown with 3:52 remaining in the game to seal the win.

Lindbergh will travel to Eureka High School to face the undefeated Wildcats in a 7 p.m. contest Friday.