South St. Louis County News

St. Louis Call Newspapers

South St. Louis County News

St. Louis Call Newspapers

South St. Louis County News

St. Louis Call Newspapers

Crestwood officials don’t seem to think much of people they represent

In a recent article titled “Crestwood looks to improve communication with citizens,” it seems our beloved board members are beginning to work with percentages. That’s the good news.

The bad news is they don’t seem to think much of the people they represent. While a few of the aldermen think 80 percent are too busy to know what is happening or even care, the other 20 percent are troublemakers. Even our mayor thinks that some of you just don’t understand government. So much for our self-esteem as good citizens.

In recent strategic-planning sessions that cost Crestwood residents $3,000, Aldermen (Richard) Bland, (Chris) Pickel and (Gregg) Roby and Mayor (Roy) Robinson commiserated with each other about the hardships they endure as elected officials.

When it comes to Crestwood, Mr. Pickel believes that 20 percent of you “are just going to be unhappy all the time …” Mr. Bland believes that 20 percent of you “just sit back and take shots.” Mr. Roby then said “You’ve got people that are constantly going to belittle and complain about your system.” Our mayor then piped in “… it’s hard for them, the normal people who don’t understand government, to understand that you are here to do what’s best as best they can for the community. They lose sight of that.”

Oh, those darn normal people.

You and I know that Crestwood has had some tough times in recent years. We citizens have had some tough times, too.

But the ones who had it the toughest were our elected officials, some of whom like to continue the policies and spending patterns that put Crestwood in those tough times to begin with.

Oh, but I must be careful. I should not complain lest I fall into that dreaded 20 percent category.

Perhaps instead of these strategic-planning sessions that come up with such new and innovative ideas as a balanced budget or a revitalized main street, maybe we should send our elected officials to a spa, a retreat or even to therapy. What troubles they must endure. What harshness and criticism they must encounter.

After all, it must be difficult being up on that dais. Giving tax incentives to developers, proposing new taxes, spending our money and enduring these strategic-planning sessions must be tough work — especially since the city may or may not be on the brink of financial disaster.

So if you are lucky enough to be “represented” by one of these fine kings — I mean aldermen — be sure to bow down before them. Know your turn, however, as they are quite busy congratulating themselves.

Roger Anderson


More to Discover