The development of the former Weekend’s Only lot on South Lindbergh Boulevard has caused quite the stir since it was proposed years ago.
When it was first announced that Dogwood Social House — a restaurant offering a mix of entertainment and games, such as axe throwing, pickleball, corn hole, table games, etc. — was coming to the location, some residing nearby were less than pleased with the added noise this would bring, though the main point of contention centered around the addition of an access point, thus added traffic, on East Concord Road.
According to Jacob Trimble, the Director of the Department of Planning for St. Louis County, this curb cut was included in the Preliminary Site Development Plan, which was the subject of a public hearing process in 2023. Notice of this public hearing was provided, he said, including posting signs on the property and notifying nearby property owners via postcard.
Some residents, however, feel “blindsided” by the news.
“When they planned for this new development going in, there was a lack of communication and advertisement of that meeting that was going to be taking place … where (the curb cut) was going to be discussed. Nobody knew about it until they actually started the construction for it,” East Concord resident Allison Vansaghi said.
She went on to discuss the fact that the past two times the site was developed, albeit years ago, developers have tried and failed to put in this curb cut to East Concord. When asked why it was approved this time, Trimble explained that access to the site was evaluated through a formal Traffic Impact Study and that the curb cut was requested by the petitioner “to promote safe overall circulation,” giving vehicles exiting and entering the site an additional access point; previously, the only way to and from the site was through South Lindbergh.
Though nearby residents do not see this as a solution for reducing traffic. In fact, they believe the opposite.
“Since that road cuts from Lindbergh to Tesson, we have a lot of traffic flow going through there. People speed through there very fast. Somebody said during the meeting, ‘They treat it like a racetrack.’ They go really fast in and out of that area,” Vansaghi said. “With increased traffic flow and no sidewalk — it’s just a safety concern.”
Despite neighbors’ frustration, there is no stopping the curb cut, as it has been approved and construction has already begun. Upset but not yet discouraged, residents decided to bring this issue to the attention of the County Council. On April 8, Sixth District County Councilman Mike Archer (R-Oakville), joined by Trimble, met with the community to discuss next steps. Over 100 East Concord residents were in attendance — a number that shocked those from East Concord and Archer alike.
Some solutions brought up include building a full sidewalk along the road and ramping up police presence to mitigate speeding and unsafe driving, as well as the addition of a “local traffic only” sign. Archer shared with The Call that Captain Guy Means of the Affton Southwest Precinct has been alerted of the incoming increased traffic, responding that it’s “on the department’s” radar.
“Public safety is a multifaceted area — we’ve got to approach it from all sorts of different angles. Law enforcement is one. The possibility of the sidewalks is another,” Archer said. “We’re going to try, but obviously, in a process like this, it’s going to take a little while. We’re going to see how this process works out. I can’t make any guarantees. The only guarantee I can make is that if we don’t do anything, the status quo will stay the status quo. What’s the worst they can do? Tell us no.”
He shared that the reaction to his responses was “a mixed bag,” with some residents more receptive than others.
“I don’t know if they necessarily liked our answers, but I really can’t lie to them and give them a rosy picture. There’s going to be a process,” Archer said. “I kept getting asked, ‘How long is this going to take?’ I don’t know. It’s like any other process. Sometimes these processes take on a life of their own, and there’s twists and turns and all sorts of things that you can’t anticipate. You just have to go with the flow.”
Vansaghi shared her point of view as a resident, echoing much of what Archer shared about the community’s reaction. She had a bit of a different attitude, though.
“I felt like they’re actually here listening and they’re giving us the opportunity to talk to them. I thought that was kind of opening the door in a sense, but some people still were very closed off, like, ‘It’s us versus them.’ I’m like, ‘He’s here, he’s making the effort to come out and talk to us.’ I thought that was a step in the right direction. I was appreciative of having the conversation and (them) telling us where we need to go from now.”
To get the ball rolling, a neighbor has started the process of putting together a petition for the implementation of these traffic calming measures. Once it is complete, those impassioned by the cause will gather neighbors’ signatures. According to Vansaghi, physical signatures will be needed. There is currently no timeline for this process.
“I really hope (for) the alleviation of the traffic and reduced speed. I hope, obviously, the sidewalks go in. I just want it to be safer overall for people who walk in the area, people who want to go to the park, the kids getting on and off the bus,” Vansaghi said. “Things happen when people speed, people can get hurt, and I just don’t want anybody to get hurt.”
Traffic mitigation in the neighborhood is especially important to Vansaghi, who shared that she has “an emotional connection” to her house.
“It was my great-grandparents’ house, it was my grandparents’ house, and now I own it. I grew up going to the park. We would walk to the park all the time with my grandpa,” she said. “Now that I live in the house, and I have a son — I have a 10-month-old baby — I’d love to walk him to the park and everything, but it’s not safe.”

