Pardee Road Bridge finished in Crestwood

Reconstruction of the Pardee Road Bridge over Gravois Creek in Crestwood recently was completed both ahead of schedule and under budget, the city’s public works director said recently.

The project initially was scheduled for completion on Dec. 1, but the bridge re-opened to motorists Oct. 8 with most of the work finished, Public Works Director Dzenana Mruckovski said.

The structure closed in late May and was completely replaced, including the abutments and the adjacent roadway. A new retaining wall with a handrail, new sidewalk and new stormwater inlets also were installed, Mruckovski said.

While the city budgeted $1,381,500 for the project, the Board of Aldermen in April approved two ordinances to complete the bridge’s reconstruction at a cost not to exceed $857,731.30.

The board approved a contract totaling $760,821.71 with Gershenson Contracting.

That ordinance also authorized the public works director to approve change orders not to exceed $76,082.

The board also voted to approve a contract with SCI Engineering Inc. totaling $18,934.59.

The ordinance also authorized Mruckovski to approve change orders not to exceed $1,893.

However, Mruckovski recently said the project’s estimated end cost would be $790,000 — 42 percent less than the $1,381,500 budgeted. The final cost includes construction and material testing costs, she said.

In addition, the city will have to pay only 20 percent of the end cost, or $158,000, because the remaining 80 percent will be funded by a Federal Highway Administration grant through the Missouri Department of Transportation.