Historic building restored

Marc Kollbaum, curator of Jefferson Barracks County Park, left, stands in front of the newly renovated Visitors’ Center with Friends of Jefferson Barracks President Glenda Stockton and board member Robert Palmer. Stock-ton holds a photograph of the facility as it looked in 1946 when the Army closed the fort. The Army originally constructed the building for use as a barn for the Ordnance Department in 1878. The $1 million renovation was funded by local, state and federal grants, as well as private donations. An open house was conducted Saturday to show off the new Visitor’s Center.