South St. Louis County News

St. Louis Call Newspapers

County Library adjusts hours in the new year, branches close one hour earlier

January 9, 2024

The St. Louis County Library has new hours this year. As of Jan. 2, all branches of the county library will close at 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Previously, branches closed at 9 p.m. Monday through...

End of an era as historic Cusanelli’s is demolished

End of an era as historic Cusanelli’s is demolished

January 8, 2024

The iconic Cusanelli’s restaurant, a landmark with nearly a century of history, was demolished last week. The Italian eatery, located at 705 Lemay Ferry Road, closed its doors in 2020 during the COVID-19...

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Jan. 5 through Thursday, Jan. 11

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Jan. 5 through Thursday, Jan. 11

January 4, 2024

Friday, Jan. 5  SAJE Senior Ministry is hosting chair yoga at 10:30 a.m. at Concord Trinity United Methodist Church, 5275 S. Lindbergh Blvd. Admission is $3 and SilverSneakers is accepted. SAJE...

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Dec. 29 through Thursday, Jan. 4

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Dec. 29 through Thursday, Jan. 4

December 28, 2023

Friday, Dec. 29  Enjoy stories, songs and play time to help develop early literacy skills at “Lap Time” hosted by the Oak Bend Branch of the St. Louis County Library, 842 S. Holmes Ave., from...

Natalie and Zachary Chapman with Blades Elementary Cafeteria manager Michelle Kovacich.

Two Mehlville students turn freeze-dried candy sales into charitable treat for Blades

By Ellie Marshall, Staff Reporter December 27, 2023

Natalie and Zachary Chapman were extra sweet this holiday season and donated $100 of the money they made selling homemade freeze-dried candy to Blades Elementary to help families needing assistance with...

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Dec. 22 through Thursday, Dec. 28.

South County Community Calendar: Week of Friday, Dec. 22 through Thursday, Dec. 28.

December 21, 2023

Friday, Dec. 22  The Oak Bend Branch of the St. Louis County Library, 842 S. Holmes Ave., is hosting “Lap Time” from 10 - 11 a.m. The program features stories, songs and playtime to help develop...

Elementary students from the Mehlville School District write to Santa

Elementary students from the Mehlville School District write to Santa

December 21, 2023

Students from Forder, Rogers, Point and Bierbaum elementaries in the Mehlville School District tell Santa what they want for Christmas.   Dear Santa: For Christmas, I’d like the Minecraft Creeper...

This soup will keep you warm on a cold winter day.

Vegetables, cream make this soup good

By Bill Milligan, For the Call December 19, 2023

When it’s hot and humid in St. Louis, I doubt many people hunger for soup. But cool weather has a different effect, and this is one of the soups my wife and I enjoy. Some may ask how the soup got its...

Left to right front: Lesa Chall, Handyman Hardware; Katie Gurley, Runner-up “Most Attractive”; Hayley Glossmeyer; Kate McKay, Runner-up “Most Creative” and Joe Lentz, Handyman Hardware. Back row: Sue Middendorf, branch manager, Coldwell Banker - Realty Gundaker, Kevin Emberton, Most Attractive” and Eric Glossmeyer, “Most Creative”.

2023 Holiday Decorating Contest winners are South County’s most creative, most attractive displays

December 15, 2023

The following are this year’s winners of the Coldwell Banker - Realty Gundaker, Handyman Hardware and Call Newspapers Annual Outdoor Holiday Decorating Contest: Most Attractive Kevin Emberton 9218...

Give the gift of advice this Christmas

Give the gift of advice this Christmas

By Carl Hendrickson, For the Call December 15, 2023

As a child growing up in a mining camp in the territory of Alaska, the only way to obtain Christmas gifts was through the Sears Roebuck catalog. I would leave the catalog where my parents could find...

Load More Stories