South County Community Calendar: Week of Sept. 20 through Sept. 26
Thursday, Sept. 19
• Step Up of St. Louis and St. Louis Crush will host a community meeting about opioids at Lindbergh High School, 5000 S. Lindbergh Blvd. There will be a resource fair at 5:30 p.m., a fentanyl and opioids presentation and panel discussion at 6 p.m. and Narcan training, grief support and other sessions at 8:15 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 20
• Crestwood will host a movie, “Guardians of the Galaxy,” at Ferndale Park, off Ligget Avenue, at dusk. Grab popcorn and blankets.
Saturday, Sept. 21
• Step Up of St. Louis and St. Louis Crush will host a 5K run/walk at Minnie Ha Ha Park, 801 Old Gravois Road. Registration opens at 8 a.m. with the run/walk beginning at 9 a.m. To register or sponsor, visit www.stepupstl.org/stepupandcrush5k.
Sunday, Sept. 22
• Oakville Elks Lodge No. 2726, 2726 Oakville Elks Lane, will host a shooting match at noon every Sunday through Dec. 8, with tickets sold at 11:30 a.m. Open to all, so bring your shooting buddies. For more information, contact Bob at 314-614-2544.
• Sunset Hills will host a Sunday Sunset Serenade at the Community Center, 3915 S. Lindbergh Blvd., from 5 to 7 p.m. Listen to live music by Josef Polach and The St. Louis Express. Barbecue and refreshments will be available for purchase. Bring a lawn chair or a blanket.
• The Siteman Cancer Center-South County is offering free head and neck cancer screenings from 8 to 11:30 a.m. at 5225 Midamerica Plaza. The screening is for people ages 16 and older. Registration is required. Visit headandneckscreening.org or call 800-600- 3606 or 314-747-7222.
• St. Lucas United Church of Christ, 11735 Denny Road, is offering a free community meal from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Are you short on food or need a warm meal? Are you a first responder? All are welcome to this family friendly environment. Carryouts are available. For more information, call 314-843-2100 or visit www.stlucasucc.org.
Monday, Sept. 23
• State Rep. Deb Lavender, D-Kirkwood, will be the guest speaker at the Tesson Ferry Democratic Organization meeting at Frailey’s Southtown Grill, 4329 Butler Hill Road, at 7 p.m. Lavender is running for the Missouri Senate in District 15.
• Learn how to keep a journal to give your interests more depth and to provide an opportunity for mindfulness at the Meramec Valley Branch of the St. Louis County Library, 1501 San Simeon Way. Materials provided. For ages 8 and up. Registration required at www. slcl.org/events.
Tuesday, Sept. 24
• The Mehlville Garden Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. at Christ Memorial Lutheran Church, 5252 S. Lindbergh Blvd. This month’s program will be about beekeeping.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
• Rep. Sarah Unsicker will hold drop-in office hours from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Crestwood Starbucks, 9590 Watson Road.
• SAJE Senior Ministry will offer a movie matinee at 1 p.m. at St. Thomas/Holy Spirit, 3980 S. Lindbergh Blvd. The movie will be “Moneyball.” Light refreshments provided.
Thursday, Sept. 26
• The St. Louis Banjo Club will provide a free evening of entertainment at the Affton Elks Club, 6330 Heege Road, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• The St. Louis County Library will be holding a diaper drive at all county library locations until Sept. 30. Donations benefit the St. Louis Area Diaper Bank.