The Lemay Chamber of Commerce has tried to connect interested developers to the owners of the now-closed Cusanelli’s Restaurant without any response.
The Lemay landmark at 705 Lemay Ferry Road was one of the oldest continuously operating restaurants in the St. Louis area and tied to the region’s history for hundreds of years, even hosting the Marquis de Lafayette in a former building at the site.
Cusanelli’s has so far been the most prominent restaurant in South County to close due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The restaurant operated under the name Cusanelli’s since 1954, although the family sold the name and business in the 1980s.
The restaurant made the announcement on its Facebook page, writing, “Due to covid (sic) and unforeseen circumstances we will be closing permanently” Aug. 30.