South St. Louis County News

St. Louis Call Newspapers

Operation Food Search and the county library offers free after school meals at libraries including Weber Road, pictured above in 2019. Photo courtesy of the St. Louis County Library.

After school meals provided at Weber Road Branch and other library locations

August 14, 2023

The St. Louis County Library and Operation Food Search are again partnering this school year to provide free after school meals to children at select library branches. Beginning Monday, Aug. 21, after...

South County Community Calendar: Week of Aug. 11 through Aug. 17

South County Community Calendar: Week of Aug. 11 through Aug. 17

August 10, 2023

Friday, Aug. 11 • Come crochet granny squares for Warm Up America at “Crochet Club for a Cause,” hosted by the Cliff Cave Branch of the St. Louis County Library, 5430 Telegraph Road, from 10 - 11:30...

Pears poached with vanilla, honey and white wine, garnished with mascarpone, brandy and raspberries.

Tangy mascarpone highlights pear’s flavor in this dessert

By Bill Milligan, For the Call August 9, 2023

Mascarpone gives a tangy contrast to the sweetness of the poached pears in this recipe. I used to slice the pears like hasselback potatoes, but that complicated the coring and took longer. I still like...

South County Community Calendar: Week of Aug. 4 through Aug. 10

South County Community Calendar: Week of Aug. 4 through Aug. 10

August 3, 2023

Friday, Aug. 4 • The Cliff Cave Branch of the St. Louis County Library, 5430 Telegraph Road, is hosting “Teens After Hours: Pizza and Trivia” from 6 - 7:30 p.m. Trivia topics include music, anime,...

Heintz Road Bridge in July 2023. Photo courtesy of the Missouri Department of Transportation.

Heintz Road Bridge reopens

August 1, 2023

After being closed for several months for a bridge replacement project, Heintz Road and the Heintz Road Bridge officially reopened last week. The road, which had been closed since March 2023 to replace...

Photo courtesy of St. Johns United Church of Christ

Inclusive, accessible community playground opens

July 28, 2023

St. Johns United Church of Christ. 11333 St. Johns Church Road, held a grand opening celebration July 22 for Logan's Community Playground, pictured above. Logan's Community Playground is an accessible...

South County Community Calendar: Week of July 28 through Aug. 3

South County Community Calendar: Week of July 28 through Aug. 3

July 28, 2023

Friday, July 28 • SAJE Senior Ministry is hosting chair yoga at 10:30 a.m. at Concord Trinity United Methodist Church, 5275 S. Lindbergh Blvd. Admission is $3 and SilverSneakers is accepted. • SAJE...

How is your Political Awareness?

How is your Political Awareness?

By Carl Hendrickson, For The Call July 27, 2023

I am sure each reader has heard the story of Rip Van Winkle. He goes to the hills to hunt squirrels with his rifle and dog. In the hills Rip comes across a band of funny-looking men with a keg of liquor....

Tomatoes, zucchini and cream sauce make the taste of this side dish.

Grilling adds flavor to Greek zucchini

By Bill Milligan, For The Call July 27, 2023

At age 50 it is hard to remember the names of friends you haven’t seen in 30 years. But even though I don’t remember the names, I remember the foods they served at my friend’s house and their family’s...

Members of the Visiting Nurses Association, National Guard, county employees and volunteers help administer the vaccine at a mass COVID-19 vaccination site in Ferguson in February 2021.

Back-to-school immunizations offered at county health department clinics

July 26, 2023

The St. Louis County Department of Public Health is providing back-to-school immunizations through Sept. 1. The opportunity to get immunizations and COVID-19 vaccinations at little to no-cost is being...

Load More Stories