Believe me, your family will be begging for seconds!
Pretzel Bread Stuffing with Pancetta and Apples
10-12 large pretzel rolls or 14 cups day-old pretzel rolls, cut into ¾ inch cubes
4 tbsp unsalted butter
¾ lb finely chopped pancetta
2 finely diced medium yellow onions
4 finely diced celery ribs
1 finely diced large carrot
4 chopped garlic cloves
1½ cups diced gala apples
¼ tsp. each salt and pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Spread cubed pretzel rolls on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until dry but not toasted, stirring, 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until tender and onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add apples and cook until begin to soften, 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, pancetta mixture, fresh parsley and sage.
4. In a glass measuring cup, combine butter and 2 cups chicken broth and microwave until butter melts, 45 seconds depending on the power of your microwave. Whisk in 4 large eggs and 1½ tsp salt. Pour mixture over bread and gently fold with a spatula until coated. Let stand 15 minutes, folding halfway through. Add up to ½ cup broth, if needed.
5. Spread mixture in a 13×9 inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until heated through and bread is golden, 35 to 45 minutes.